Sunday, November 29, 2015

November 29, 2015



So after completing the manuscript for Twisted, I've been faced with very difficult decisions to make regards to publishing. When I started writing the 2nd revision, I thought I'd be going the traditional route, but the more I think about it, the more I'm leaning towards indie writing. 

My chief concern is control - I have a genuine fear of pouring my blood, sweat, and tears into a story, then having a big, bad publish house take total control and change it into something I didn't have in mind, for MY story. I'm undergoing extensive research to see which is a better direction for me to take, and there are so many things to consider. If I go indie, I'll basically have to be my own publisher - to get my book out there, to get the cover design, formatting, ISBN, distribution. But as I mentioned, the biggest pro there is, is that I will have complete control over my book and how it sells. It sounds like it may take a great time and effort, and more expensive to start off - but then again, with traditional, you've got to cut your royalties with the agent and publisher, so the rate for royalties in indie is much higher. Overall, the biggest issue is getting my book out there - but luckily, the portrayal of indie is lifting a bit. 

I myself personal think the idea of an author publishing their own book, marketing it, and everything is so amazing. Sure an indie author doesn't have to go through a big, bad publishing house - but if they don't know what they're doing anyhow, or their story still needed lots of work, then they'll flop. The indie route is a major risk, but I'm starting to really think it's worth it. If my work flops, at least I can blame myself for that.

Anyhow, onto a lighter note, the winner of writing prompt #2 belongs to Demi and I'd love to portray her work on here, but I asked for her permission, and she had personal reasons not to have her work featured. Nonetheless, congrats, lovely! She wrote a hilarious yet touching little piece - and the two celebrities she chose were SO random and...well, unexpected. 

As for prizes, it's going to take some time for me to get those out. I'm so sorry for the wait, school has been hell, and I didn't take a lot of things into account - I just kind of plunged in there xD This is the reason I'm going to have to put a stop to the writing prompts, for now, until my life gets back into...control. 

I just want to thank everyone once again. A lot of the times I stop and get pretty emotional because to think I'm able to do what I love for a living is just...sometimes very difficult to comprehend. For those in the states who have celebrated Thanksgiving this past week, I hope ya'll had plenty of turkey, or whatever food ya'll had! And for others who are celebrating holidays I unfortunately don't know of, I hope those are going well, too! 

I'll keep ya'll updated as things progress, in terms of Twisted. In the mean time, hit me up on here, or on twitter @SmilinForYa, or you're welcome to read some of my fanfics at 1DFF

Love ya'll! xx

No comments:

Post a Comment