Sunday, August 23, 2015

August 24, 2015


So, here's a bit of an update.

I start school on Wednesday and am going to take four classes this semester; I also plan on finding a part-time job, to help with school and whatnot, so evidently, with all the moving out and moving in and making last minute school shopping, it's difficult to find time to write. Whilst in Colorado, I showed my plans for Twisted to my older sister because she's a hard critic when it comes to original ideas and whatnot - she strives for the non-cliche, which is why I went to her. And let me say, she didn't hold back.

Basically, she pointed a lot of things out to me. At first, I figured I'd be able to do some quick fixes, but I feel like I felt that way mostly because I was so thrilled to have actually finished a story. But after more thinking, I came to one deadly conclusion:

I have to start over. Rewrite.

She pointed out tons of things about my story that were entirely cliche. As a writer, I want my story to be set away from things that have been overdone, to make it stand out more in the publishing stance, so this devastated me a bit. While writing a manuscript, it's so hard to look at it through a neutral point and see things differently. But thanks to my sister's critique, I've got fresher ideas, and I have even more to work with. Now, I just have to complete the story...again. A lot of things will change because of that, but I'm confident that it's far more interesting than the other I had in mind. One thing a writer must realize is that there will never be one draft. There will be several, with revising and editing. 

Anyhow, I've got a bit written for the beginning; this newer idea will take more research, so it's going to take more time, but I'm confident I'll find the time to do so with the passion I have for completing it. Because of that, I'm not worried, but am entirely thrilled.

No comments:

Post a Comment